Job Title: Shop Manager
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £ 9.15 per hour
Hours: 35 hours per week
Shop Opening Times: The role requires the Manager to work 5 days out of 7 days and this includes weekends.
Closing Date: 28th October 2020
Assessment Date: Week Commencing the 2nd November 2020
Are you passionate about Life? Are you looking for a career that really makes a difference? If so, an exciting opportunity has become available here within Life.
We are currently recruiting for a reliable Shop Manager to join our retail team and assist in the smooth operation of our charity shop in Nuneaton.
If you are ready for a new challenge and relish the chance to become part of a successful, forward thinking organisation then we would love to hear from you.
Life is the largest pro-life charity within the UK and probably the most comprehensive and ambitious as it combines advocacy & education work with a nationwide support & housing service along with a network of charity retail shops. Life’s mission is to uphold respect for every human life from fertilisation until natural death whilst providing emotional and practical support to pregnant woman and young mothers who are vulnerable.
Am I the right person for this role?
- Highly organised, hard working, creative, self starter who thrives and can easily adapt within an ever changing environment.
- Confident, positive and outgoing with great communication skills.
- Proven management experience in meeting and exceeding revenue targets in a high turnover retail or charity sector environment.
- Commercially astute.
- Open and adaptable to change and able to support others through it
- IT Literacy and numeracy skills. (Using email systems, Office 365 and online resources; be aware of and be open to the role of social networking and e-commerce)
What are the responsibilities?
- Optimise sales in the shop, including initiating sales promotion, ensuring that the best selling goods get maximum amount of space and implementing an effective pricing strategy.
- To make sure that the ambience and layout of the shop, as well as the window displays are maintained to a high standard and visually merchandised.
- Ensure that the shop has enough stock to optimise sales, by driving stock procurement through over the door donations and partnerships in the local community and to ensure there is effective stock management and consistent stock rotation within the shop.
- Drive gift aid sales by ensuring all potential donors are approached with the option to gift aid and that all associated admin is dealt with as per the company guidelines.
- Maintain the shop equipment in good order.
- Keep up to date with other local charity shops to ensure that the Life charity shop maintains a competitive edge.
Premise and Security:
- Keep the Head of Retail and Line Manager updated about necessary repairs and maintenance of the shop, agreeing on action plan and costs. The shop manager is responsible for arranging for the work to take place.
- The main key holder for the shop will be the shop manager and it will be their responsibility to delegate key holding to volunteers in line with Life’s Key Holder Policy.
- Responsible for security of shop takings, including the safe storage of the shop takings. The manager will also be responsible for the recording of all daily, weekly and monthly takings and for safe banking in line with the organisation’s procedure.
- Make sure that the security procedures are understood and implemented by all staff and volunteers.
Health and Safety:
- Carry out regular risk assessments according to Life’s policy and for ensuring health and safety procedures issued by the charity are understood and implemented by all staff and volunteers.
- Maintain health and safety records, reporting and recording all serious incidents and injures to head office in line with Life’s policy.
- To make sure that electrical equipment is properly maintained, in line with legislation.
- Undertake regular fire drills and ensuring that fire equipment is serviced in line with legislation.
Strategy and Communication:
- Reporting of weekly income figures for the Head of Retail on a weekly basis.
- Update volunteer details every quarter and to pass on the information to the HR Department.
- Maintain good contact with their Line Manager, including suggesting improvements of the operation of Life charity shops.
- Liaise regularly with other shop managers and assist in mentoring new shop managers as requested.
- Attend mandatory training meetings to drive own personal development and learn new skills.
- Responsible for managing and training all shop volunteers in line with the organisations policy.
- Oversee the recruitment of shop volunteers and for ensuring that there is adequate volunteer cover for the shop.
At Life we are passionate about providing our employees with a supportive and engaging environment. As well as ongoing development and training, we offer our:
- A generous holiday allowance, starting at 25 days per year, plus 8 Bank Holidays, (for full-time positions, pro-rated for part-time positions)
- Access to Perk box (subject to completion of probation)
- Birthday Leave
- Extra annual leave for long term service
- Length of service awards
- Company Pension Scheme
- Discounts at your local and national Life shops
Our Values and Commitment to Safeguarding and Equality
Life is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Life expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from all diverse backgrounds to apply.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks. Life takes its obligation to protect the rights of children and vulnerable people very seriously; therefore, the successful candidate for this post will be also subject to extensive background checking, including a Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
How to apply
Should you be interested in any of our roles please look at our website, www.lifecharity.org.uk for further information. Should you wish to apply please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.