Life Isle of Man says the Abortion Reform Bill being rushed through Tynwald is massively out of step with true public opinion on the Isle of Man.
A new poll of Manx residents by the world renowned research organisation, COMRES, revealed:
- 86% felt that the baby had the right to life inside the womb.
- 81% wanted doctors to check if women are being coerced into having abortions.
- 70% felt that strict measures should be in place to ensure that abortions are not done for gender.
- 85% felt that counselling should be limited to organisations which have no financial interest in the abortion
- Only 2 out 10 people felt pharmacists should be allowed to prescribe the abortion pill if neither they nor the woman are sure how advanced the pregnancy is.
- 48% were opposed to teenagers being allowed abortions without parental consent
- 63% think doctors should be protected by conscientious objection if they refuse to facilitate an abortion
- Only half of respondents felt that abortion should be allowed for Down Syndrome right up to birth.
Life IOM Spokesman Malcolm Newton said “So far we have heard that there has been overwhelming support for abortion following the consultation. The truth is, as this poll shows, that the overwhelming majority of people on this Island believe the unborn baby should have the right to life. It absolutely proves that the consultation was not truly representative of what people on this Island want, which in the end is what should matter. This survey shows they want stricter laws relating to abortion not more liberally extreme ones as Dr Allinson proposes.
The fact that 86% of people believe the baby in the womb should have the right to life stands in stark contrast to Dr Allinson’s Bill which takes away the right to life of unborn babies with disabilities right up to birth.
It is time for those in Tynwald, entrusted with upholding justice and equality for all, to ensure the people of this Island are listened to and the floodgates are not thrown open for the abortion industry. They must stand to protect women from exploitation as well as to protect the right to life of the unborn.”