Are you passionate about Life? Are you looking for a career that really makes a difference? If so, an exciting opportunity has become available here within Life.
We are currently recruiting for a reliable General Shop Assistant to join our retail team and assist in the smooth operation of our charity shop in Gerrards Cross.
If you are ready for a new challenge and relish the chance to become part of a successful, forward thinking organisation then we would love to hear from you.
Life is the largest pro-life charity within the UK and probably the most comprehensive and ambitious as it combines advocacy & education work with a nationwide support & housing service along with a network of charity retail shops. Life’s mission is to uphold respect for every human life from fertilisation until natural death whilst providing emotional and practical support to pregnant woman and young mothers who are vulnerable.
Am I the right person for this role?
- Highly organised, hard working, creative, self starter who thrives and can easily adapt within an ever changing environment.
- Confident, positive and outgoing with great communication skills.
- Proven management experience in meeting and exceeding revenue targets in a high turnover retail or charity sector environment.
- Commercially astute.
- Open and adaptable to change and able to support others through it
- IT Literacy and numeracy skills. (Using email systems, Office 365 and online resources; be aware of and be open to the role of social networking and e-commerce)
What are the responsibilities?
Sales and Profit
- Achieve agreed area sales budgets and maximise profits through effective cost control
- Maintain a standard of excellence at all times with regard to customer service and supporter care
- Ensure all directives from the National Office are implemented within the shop
- Regularly review high street and charity retailers to ensure shops remain competitive within the local market.
- Generate quality donated goods through shop driven initiatives to maximise income.
- Ensure Life stock selection guidelines on quality and fashion are implemented in the shop.
- Achieve all the agreed area key performance indicators including Gift Aid, online sales, Stock processing targets and Average selling prices on departments.
- Ensure the shop complies with Life pricing policy
- Ensure that efficient and organised stock room systems are maintained within each shop to maximise processing levels and income.
- High standard of merchandising and visual display, ensuring sales to space allocation is monitored in the shop.
- National basic housekeeping standard, adhering to Life Health and Safety policy
Administration, Security and Health and Safety
- Shops to comply with all Life financial and administration procedures as detailed in the shop manual
- Achieve compliance on both the financial and health and safety audits. Action all area administration required by the business within timescales.
- Oversee the implementation of health and safety policies in liaison with the health and safety facilities Manager.
Premise and Security
- To be the main key holder of the shop in the absence of the shop manager
- In the absence of the shop manager, the shop assistant is responsible for the security of the shop takings, including the safe storage of the shop takings.
At Life we are passionate about providing our employees with a supportive and engaging environment. As well as ongoing development and training, we offer our:
- A generous holiday allowance, starting at 25 days per year, plus 8 Bank Holidays, (for full-time positions, pro-rated for part-time positions)
- Access to Perk box (subject to completion of probation)
- Birthday Leave
- Extra annual leave for long term service
- Length of service awards
- Company Pension Scheme
- Discounts at your local and national Life shops
Our Values and Commitment to Safeguarding and Equality
Life is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Life expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from all diverse backgrounds to apply.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks. Life takes its obligation to protect the rights of children and vulnerable people very seriously; therefore, the successful candidate for this post will be also subject to extensive background checking, including a Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
How to apply
Should you be interested in any of our roles please look at our website, www.lifecharity.org.uk for further information. Should you wish to apply please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.