Here is our full statement to The Observer about our services:
Kerry Smart, Life CEO, said:
“Life is a national pregnancy support charity creating a world where no one faces pregnancy or pregnancy loss alone. Our person-centred online pregnancy listening service was inspired by the Samaritans and is non-coercive and non-judgmental. The charity is an associate member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and adheres to their ethical guidelines.
“Here’s what we’ve heard from some of our 178,834 clients in the last 2.5 years, who tell our story better than we can:
- ‘All I have received from you is acceptance, listening, and care. The words thank you does not seem anything in comparison for what you have done for me but Thank you.’ (2022)
- ‘It’s wonderful to have a charity that is there to support all women whenever they need it.’ (2022)
- ‘I never once felt judged by the Helpliner. They just accepted me and where I was at.’ (2020)
- ‘If it wasn’t for that kind, compassionate, and sympathetic message I received from one of your workers when I was pregnant and in a vulnerable position, I wouldn’t have the beautiful, bright, and happy 17-month-old little girl I have today. Thank you so much for the incredible work you do.’ (2020)
“Transparency is important to us, so people using our listening services are told that we do not refer for abortion or give information on abortion providers. This adheres to ASA guidance. We are also displayed on Google as not providing abortions.
“Anybody who’s facing pregnancy or pregnancy loss – including considering an abortion or who has had an abortion – can use our services. We advertise so that anyone who would like to use our services can do so.
“We support measures that will reduce the rate of unplanned pregnancy, increase support and services so that women and their children can thrive, improve adoption access, and make British society more child- and parent-friendly. This provides other options than abortion and expands rather than restricts women’s choices. No matter your opinion on abortion, we can all work together to create this world. This should be the conversation we are having around abortion.
“If clients wish to explore medical topics, we inform – not advise – using NHS information in skilled listening sessions. As a pregnancy support charity, we have no intention to give out incorrect or misleading information. We make no comment on specific organisations’ materials. We agree that attempts to mislead or give false information are wrong.
“In 2022, we were awarded the Trusted Charity Mark by the NCVO in recognition of our excellence as one of the UK’s largest pregnancy support charities.”
Notes to editors
- Life’s terms of service for clients – https://lifecharity.org.uk/our-services/pregnancy-matters/terms-of-service/
- Life’s impact – https://lifecharity.org.uk/impact/